Posted on August 31 2014
THE BABY BOX CO. CELEBRATES NATIONAL BABY SAFETY MONTH!
Here at The Baby Box Co. we are passionate about providing resources to new parents so that their babies have a safe start in life. A large part of a baby’s first year is spent sleeping, which is why we believe it is important to share ways to reduce the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and other potential hazards.
- Sleeping: Make sure the baby is always sleeping on its back.
- Bed: The mattress should be firm with a fitted sheet.
- Baby Box/Bassinet/Crib: Remove everything from the sleep space if possible; even soft objects can be hazardous.
- Clothing: Loose blankets are inadvisable for keeping the baby warm. Instead, your baby should wear a sleep sack, onesie or be properly swaddled.
- No Smoking: Smoking should not be allowed around your baby or in your home.
- Don’t Overheat: Be mindful of the room temperature. It should be between 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Avoid: Positioners & other similar products should be avoided.
- Check In: Make sure to keep an eye on your baby, check in frequently.
- Pacifiers: A pacifier can be useful during sleep. However, consider waiting approximately one month for breastfeeding to be established before introducing the pacifier.
- Car Seat: Safety is important when it comes to the position and direction in which you place your baby in the car. Keeping your baby in a rear-facing child safety seat in the back seat is the best protection. It is best to have your child in this position in the car until at least their second birthday according to the America Academy of Pediatrics. Also read your vehicle’s manual to fully understand the safety seat as it varies from car to car. A certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians (CPSTs) check station can also be a helpful resource to learn about proper car seat installation and to ensure that the baby is fitted correctly. To find CPSTs in your area, go to www.seatcheck.org or www.nhtsa.dot.gov.
Additional Baby Safety Resources
We know that it can feel a bit counter-intuitive to put your baby to sleep in a box, but the bottom line is that simple is safer. For more than 75 years, Finland’s expectant mothers have been given a Baby Box by the state that serves as a starter kit and sleep space for their new infant. It is accepted that the Baby Box tradition has helped Finland achieve one of the world’s lowest infant mortality rates. Currently the US infant mortality rate is double that of Finland’s! In Finland, the Baby Boxes decreased the infant mortality rate from 65 deaths for each 1,000 children born in 1983 to 3 deaths per 1,000 births in 2013. At The Baby Box Co. we are working around the clock to make that same difference here in the US and in all the other countries to which we deliver.
The Baby Box Co. proudly shares a Finnish tradition of infant safety with mothers worldwide.
All products manufactured and resold by The Baby Box Co. exceed all required and voluntary safety standards enacted by the US Product Safety Commission. We further champion infant safety by emphasizing natural, predominantly organic products and take great care with our material selections and manufacturing methods.
Our actual boxes have passed SGS inspection, all materials from the ink on the exterior of the boxes to the glue used in their production are non-toxic and environmentally safe.
Our mattresses are firm pads which have been independently certified as non-toxic and safe by CertiPUR-US laboratories. Specifically, they adhere to the following:
- No PBDE flame retardants
- No prohibited phthalates
- No ozone depleters (CFCs)
- No mercury, lead or heavy metals
- No formaldehyde
The Baby Box Co. attaches safety labels to the box lids so all users of our product clearly see these warnings upon opening the baby box. Additionally, we include information packets in each baby box specifically about infant sleep safety. These information packets have been provided to us directly for distribution by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
THE BABY BOX CO. LABOR DAY “SAFETY FIRST” SALES EVENT!
It’s Labor Day weekend and at The Baby Box Co., that’s reason to celebrate! Save $15.00 on any Baby Box purchase through 9/1/2014 at midnight PST with coupon code SAFETYFIRST.